Saturday, May 18, 2019

MODELLING THE RAILWAYS OF NSW 36 - 18 MAY 2019

I was a presenter again!

Overall I think it went well... but I was working under duress!

I could not use my OWN computer and mouse, [on which I had thoroughly rehearsed and was fairly slick]; because my laptop was too modern and incompatible with the projector. [It could not connect to USB! It would only party with a 15-pin VGA connector.]

So, I had to borrow an unfamiliar computer at the last minute; and at times, this made me look like a goose.

What did this do for me...?

  • I could NOT see my presenter notes, so I had to guess what I meant to say with each slide, which was not easy, and it made me hesitant
  •  it compressed some of my slides so the text appeared in crazy ways
  •  the mouse was very sensitive - often it would run on two or three slides ahead
  • with a different mouse in my RIGHT hand I started pointing at the computer screen in front of me with my LEFT hand; instead of using the mouse-arrow that appeared on the projector screen for everyone to see - and of course I had only used the mouse pointer in rehearsal! LOL
  •  the videos did not run, or ran with sound but a black screen
  •  in later shows I was able to set up my own computer, and play videos there...and...
  •  Jonathan Hilliard, my co-presenter; downloaded software onto the computer that allowed some videos to play, but not all
  •  I fumbled with my demonstrations - in hindsight, I should have just left them running the whole time
In spite of these difficulties, people did seem to respond well to the presentation, and I made some new friends.

I promised to put up some posts based on the presentation so I will do that shortly...

No comments:

Post a Comment

ARDUINO - PART THREE: FIRST STEPS

[THIS SERIES COMING SOON]